Monday 10 May 2010

ITV's Dinner Date - The 2nd Date

“Can we film with you at 2 on Sunday?… Just be dressed in what you’ll wear for the restaurant date if you’re the chosen one!” - ITV
Just like that - in one text message the time and place for my potential 2nd date was soughted out. It had been an interesting week so far. I think I had been suffering from a very minor case of what the British Tabloid Papers might call 'I think I am a reality TV star' syndrome. Every day this week, when I have been cooking at my flat I have started explaining to whoever is near me what I was doing - then looking up and expecting to see a TV camera recording my every move.

I have had voiceover after voiceover playing in my head. 
'Should Chris have worn those shoes? Is make-your-own pizza really the way to a girls heart? What is going to happen on Sunday? Is Girl X really a robot from the future? Why is it never sunny in London when you want to do 'al fresco'?















The camera crew had arrived and once again it was time to do a few practice shots and a quick interview. They asked me what I thought would be behind my door. I had a few ideas:
(A) 2nd date with a very cute girl 



(B) A box of chocolates then off to the pub to watch the football
(C) The cameramen flicking me the bird...


But in someways I was prepared for anything. I had already had a great night and anything extra from now was like playing in overtime - a bonus. I had all my friends going to the local pub to watch the football final but I also had fresh flowers and my suit, at the ready just in case I was the chosen one.


The camera crew now had to prepare to shot the final few scenes. In about 20 minutes I would hear a knock at my door and this would be it for real. Well I can tell you those 20 minutes where some of the longest in my life. Pacing up and down my hallway all 'suited up' with flowers in my hand. 

My mind was constantly flicking between the different outcomes, trying not to think about what was going to happen next. I was about to face most people's biggest fear - The fear of rejection, live on national TV. My reaction to whatever was behind the door would eventually be seen by all, raw and real. Then there was the knock - I felt calm and ready as I took a deep breath and opened my front door...     

 
*KNOCK*KNOCK*
To find out if I get a 2nd date or end up eating a meal at home by myself watch ITV Dinner Date, 16th November 2010 at 14:00 on ITV1. UPDATE: Showing on ITV Player until December 18th 2010 (UK VIEWERS ONLY).


**********************
Lasagna for one. Damn it the make-your-own pizza let me down… who would have thought. I guess this is a time for me to reflect on what I have learnt… 



So instead of a 2nd date, I ended up watching Chelsea win the premier league in style. A local pub, some close friends and me, trying to explain to anyone who would listen the story of my 15 mins of fame. It did get interesting – as they guy I was standing next to had put £20 on Chelsea to win 7-1. He was eventually a goal post away from winning £15,000 and shouting the entire bar drinks.

Postscript
Today I got a text message:
“Chris – what’s your email address – I’ve got something to send you which is right up your street!!”… “I’ve sent it 2 you – it’s a perfect tv opportunity!” "Your chance to continue your dating - but on TV this time! You know you want to...

Somehow it all sounds very familiar... what’s behind your door?

No comments: